Summit Camp

Summit Camp
Live image at Summit Greenland

Conditions for this week

Conditions for this week

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Journey to Greenland

The trip to Summit station began in Schenectady, NY and continued courtesy of the Air National Guard 109th division. We left the hotel at 5am in order to get to the base in enough time for the 8:30 flight. I couldn't help but think of my brother as he is serving in the Air Force and imagine what kind on planes he'd been on. He's certainly been on a C130 which is really a cargo plane that can land on many different surfaces, ice being the most important for me.











You can see the ski landing gear in the bottom on the plane. It was certainly a full flight and quite noisy which left my ears ringing afterwards even with ear plugs. The ANG was smart and slept on hammocks while I didn't get much shuteye.


My seat was about the fourth one back on the right side and didn't leave much leg room. If you look close you might make out someone sleeping in the cargo net above the palettes in the back.

After a stop in Goose Bay, Canada to refuel we were off to Kangerlussuaq Greenland. All told about 7 hour flight in the air plus stops. Not too bad of a flight but the food waiting for us was well appreciated after not eating much in the plane. We had arrived at the west coast of Greenland to a town with a population of about 500 people.





Ben, who is a graduate student at the University of Colorado, walks in to Kanger where he ate Musk Ox curry and Much Ox calzones. I had a bite but after a rough plane ride for my stomach I played it safe with some chicken fried rice and peperoni pizza served by a jovial Turkish restaurant owner.







Below is a picture of me running next to the river bed which originates from the ice sheet melt water. Honestly this is just a case of the camera timer being faster than me. You can't see it but around the bend is a golf course. No joke. Lots of sandtraps (no grass) and I have no idea how someone would putt. Next post I will have pics of the edge if the ice!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to your blog and life at plus 10K feet. - love mom & dad

    ReplyDelete