Summit Camp

Summit Camp
Live image at Summit Greenland

Conditions for this week

Conditions for this week

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Dusk and/or Dawn



















The sun has been up since I've been at Summit. We are situated above the Arctic Circle at a latitude of 72 degrees north. I prefer the current situation of sunlight 24 hours a day rather than darkness for 24 hours, even though there is no glowing moon and the stars are masked by the scattered blue light of the sky.

Although there are still some tasks to be done the sun is setting on my time here at camp. Last night the sun dipped to the horizon for the first time and even though it still won't get dark for a while it was a welcome gesture. All the instruments are currently collecting data at the MSF (knock on wood) and in a week and a half my replacement arrives for turnover. We have some changes to implement to prepare for the winter so the last week will be very busy but Brad has been here before so hopefully the transition will go smoothly. Right now as I wait for the turnover crew to arrive I definitely sense the twilight settling in.

No comments:

Post a Comment