Summit Camp

Summit Camp
Live image at Summit Greenland

Conditions for this week

Conditions for this week

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Final Countdown


Tomorrow could be my final full day at Summit, as far as I am concerned I have accomplished a lot. At the risk of tooting my own horn, I think back on the time here and I feel a sense of accomplishment. Most importantly, all the instruments are operational for ICECAPS, I learned how to skate ski - making it to the end of the skiway and back in under an hour, and have learned a lot about living on the ice with valuable field experience.

I'm headed back to Madison, my amazing wife, and family to be. I've had time to digest becoming a father and am excited to take the leap. Who knows what the future had in store, but I certainly know I'm ready for green trees, warm breezes and a vibrant fall. I will continue to use the data from the Microwave Radiometers for retrieving temperature profiles and cloud properties, building for my Masters thesis.


As the temps drop to well below ten or twenty below, the summer is certainly ending. It wasn't the warmest, nor the most exciting, but I've had time to reflect on the past, prepare for the future and learn from the present. I am fortunate to be return to people I love and a program I truly enjoy. The sun has set but I'll always remember my time on thick ice.






No comments:

Post a Comment