Summit Camp

Summit Camp
Live image at Summit Greenland

Conditions for this week

Conditions for this week

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Roommate


Although I have to share a room in the Greenhouse, I got lucky in the fact that I am sharing the room with Lance. He's the type of guy who is a veteran of the polar seasons, has numerous stories of harrowing adventures, and can fix an scientific instrument in no time at all. Last night I watched a DVD of his biking/mountaineering/kayak trip to Alaska and back from Washington. Certainly not for the faint of heart, and my opinion has been solidified that he is one who lives for adventure.

The other day the winds picked up to 15-20 knots and Lance was psyched to go kite skiing. Ripping down the skiway looked like a blast but I wondered exactly how easy it was to flying one of those kites. Fortunately he let me test it out with nothing strapped to my feet, and after a few kite crashes I got the hang of flying it while trying to lower it into the power zone. Once I was somewhat confident that the thing wouldn't carry me off into the sunset where the polar bears roam, I put on a snowboard for a test run. After only going about 10 yards at a time, with many kite crashes, it been determined I need to watch the DVD on Kite Boarding even if the instructions are for water not ice.

All in all, it's nice to have a laid-back, knowledgeable and adventurous roommate.

No comments:

Post a Comment