Summit Camp

Summit Camp
Live image at Summit Greenland

Conditions for this week

Conditions for this week

Friday, July 1, 2011

Sensory Perception

The views at Summit are amazing. . . . amazingly white. . . everywhere. I really can't step outside without my sunglasses or goggles. Not your typical summer, as I think of the spring flowers I enjoyed in Madison and the sneezing fits after a nice bike ride to my office.

Besides the occasional lost bird or flower in the window sill, the only living things are the fellow workers and the snow. It is interesting to notice the subtle changes from day to day, changing from crunchy to sparkly to textured and back again. (Talking about the snow, not co-workers)


Hoar frost, or "arctic moss" as my roomate Lance puts it, forms at night when the surface loses heat rapidly and water vapor sublimates, building intricate structures of ice crystals. After creating drifts during high winds, the low wind nights give the surface this subtle texture. Obviously not the vegetation of Wisconsin but it seems my senses are adjusting to what is around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment