Summit Camp

Summit Camp
Live image at Summit Greenland

Conditions for this week

Conditions for this week

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Visitors

It has been a busy week here at Summit. The carpenters are here for the rest of the summer to make improvements and repairs. A slew of reporters were here for a few days taking pictures and getting the scoop. It fun to think that what I'm doing everyday at the camp is interesting to a larger audience. I was able to say quite a lot about the instruments, and hopefully I was able to convey the importance of the Greenland Ice Sheet to Earth's energy balance. I'll keep on eye out for any publications that use information gathered from the last few days.
To the right, Marie launches a radiosonde while the reporters snap photos.


In addition there was a couple students from Dartmouth College here to test out their prototype robot that is meant to be fully autonomous, running off of solar power while collecting air samples over the ice.

Today a group of high school honor students arrived, hailing from Denmark, Greenland, and the United States. I showed them around a bit this morning, and let two of them launch the balloon.

This snowy afternoon Lance, Kris and I dug what will be a back lit pit allowing the kids to observe the different layers of ice.

Even though it has been busy I did have a chance to go kite boarding the other night. The wind wasn't very strong but I think I am getting the hang of the sailing on the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment